- Degree in Safety or Occupational health fields (safety, occupational health, industrial hygiene) PLUS relevant experience.
- Degree in Public Health, Physics, Chemistry, Biology, Engineering or Industrial Psychology PLUS adequate relevant experience.
- Diploma in Occupational Health and Safety and proven track record of substantial experience of not less than 5 years, in or related to safety and occupational health that provided the required knowledge, skills and abilities to successfully perform the duties of the position.
Skills and Attributes
- Knowledge of the Occupational Safety and Health Act
- Accident Investigations
- Good oral and written communication skills
- Excellent Interpersonal Relationships
- Computer proficiency in the use of Data Base and
- Good planning and organisational abilities
DUTIES AND RESPONSIBLITIES
- Aassist the Joint Occupational Health and Safety Committee in the organization and execution of annual and unscheduled inspections/safety audits of Faculties/Departments; prepare reports and takes necessary follow-up action.
- Investigate accidents, incidents and OSH complaints, prepare accident/injury reports and communicate results/findings to complaints, to the Joint Occupational Safety and Health Committee and UG Administration.
- Maintain records of all OSH accidents, incidents, training, list of certified personnel (such as CPR), legislation and other OSH related matters.
- Maintain an up-to-date set of University of Guyana safety policies and codes of practices and prepare annual and other reports as required.
- Establish and maintain a Material Safety Data Sheet (MSDS) data base and ensure their visibility and regular use within relevant departments.
- Support and advise the Joint Occupational Safety and Health Committee on safety related matters.
- Advise the University on how to comply with statutory Occupational Health and Safety requirements and ensure that the Vice-Chancellor and the University community are aware of the requirements of new and proposed legislation.
- Advise and assist Deans/University Librarian/Heads of Departments with their Occupational Health and Safety responsibilities and monitor compliance with approved preventive measures as well as promote and advise upon standards to be adopted.
- Review appropriateness of Personal Protective Equipment (PPE), monitor compliance in collaboration with designated officers in Faculties/Departments, conduct training and make necessary recommendations.
- Provide specialist advice sought and liaise with external agencies such as the Ministry of Social Protection, Fire Department, EPA and others to arrange/conduct inspections and other Occupational Safety and Health matters.
- Any other related duties.
Salary Scale: Occupational Safety and Health Officer - UA1: $186,420-$286,131
Placement on Salary Scale would be dependent on qualification and post-qualification experience.
Benefits currently include non-taxable housing and travelling allowances, contributory medical and pension schemes; gratuity and entertainment allowance (where applicable), annual/vacation/study/sabbatical leave (whichever is applicable); leave passage and Academic Materials allowance.
Applications with Curriculum Vitae, stating full name, date of birth, marital status, qualifications (with dates and overall grades obtained), work experience (with dates), full names and addresses of three (3) referees, who can testify to the academic/professional capabilities of the applicant (one of whom must be your present or last employer, where applicable), must reach the Personnel Division, University of Guyana, P.O. Box 10-1110, Georgetown, Email: firstname.lastname@example.org, not later than April 26,2018 (Tel. Nos. 592-222-4181/5271), Website: www.uog.edu.gy