The Chief Accountant is responsible for the management, supervision and oversight of the accounting activities of the University in accordance with the International Financial Reporting Standards, the Fiscal Management and Accountability Act of Guyana 2003 (where relevant) and UG Financial Regulations. He/she reports to the Bursar.
Qualification and Experience
1. A Degree in Finance or Accounting, with at least 15 years’ experience, with 5 years at a senior management level OR
2. A Masters degree in Finance or Accounting, with at least 7 years’ experience, with 2 years at a senior management level OR
3. Completed ACCA with at least 7 years’ experience at a senior management level.
4. Membership of a recognised professional accounting body.
5. The candidate must demonstrate a working knowledge of the operations of financial institutions, (Government and Private Sector) procurement, budgeting and cash flow management.
6. Good leadership, interpersonal and advocacy skills.
Key responsibilities include
- Manage the implementation and monitoring of all accounting and financial policies, procedures and systems of the University.
- Review and Make appropriate recommendations, where necessary, for change in the accounting and financial policies, procedures and systems.
- Overseeing effective operations of a computerised payroll.
- Supervise and Maintaining financial records, and the implementation and monitoring of controls and systems to ensure the safe custody of the assets of the University, including inventory and non-current assets.
- Develop and Implementing procedures and controls for the timely and cost efficient purchase of materials and services, both locally and internationally; and maintaining cost effective inventory holdings.
Salary Scale: UA5: $459,827-$559,251
Placement on Salary Scale would be dependent on level of qualification and relevant experience.
Benefits currently include non-taxable housing, entertainment and travelling allowances, contributory medical and pension schemes; annual and vacation leave, leave passage and academic materials allowance.
Applications with Curriculum Vitae, stating full name, date of birth, marital status, qualifications (with dates and overall grades obtained), work experience (with dates), full names and addresses of three (3) referees, who can testify to the academic/professional capabilities of the applicant (one of whom must be your present or last employer, where applicable), must reach the Personnel Division, University of Guyana, P.O. Box 10-1110, Georgetown, Email: firstname.lastname@example.org, or Courier Service, not later than December 20, 2017 (Tel. Nos. 592-222-4181/5271), Website: www.uog.edu.gy